Sunday, April 14, 2024

Pillu

 It had been almost a month and a half since school started. Being in the first standard, those little innocent children were slowly getting to know each other. The funny thing is that the whole class is very naughty. So I did not know when the day was set. "Ma'am, ma'am, this, that, and that" chatter and chatter all day long. One of the pillu calmed down a bit. His name is not remembered due to his lack of company, but his cute face is still visible to the eyes. His favourite thing to do is to sit near me during the break. After a midday meal, all children play in the playground. But this sweet boy found me and stuck to me. So naturally, he became a bit of a darling. Health examinations of students are conducted every year in July and August. This year it happened; all our colleagues were standing outside, and of course, the topic was a health checkup. As usual, the pill was staring at me. At that exact time, the nurse, Jadhav, came. Very enthusiastic and passionate nurse. I have never seen a nurse who does her job so honestly. My attention instinctively went to the pillu's hand. There was a reddish spot on it. I wondered how I had overlooked it. It has never been like today. A health checkup was done today. How did the doctor not say this? I told Jadhav's nurse about these scars. She observed it. She asked Pillu to remove his shirt. These scars were found on his back and chest. She asked to be examined at a government hospital. Not only that, but she took him for examination. Leprosy was diagnosed. When Jadhav nurse went to Pillu's house, his mother and elder brother were diagnosed with leprosy disease. The treatment of those three started. Pillu knew nothing of this. He came to school like always. Sit with me in the afternoon. Of course, there was no doubt in my mind. The doctor said to seat him separately from other children. Also, sit a little longer for food. But I did not agree with that at all. What to tell the pillu, how to understand? He was not ready to sit alone. And not from me at all. I could not stop them from sitting near me. In the end, it was decided that the pill should be treated the same as always. I don't want to hurt that innocent child. I do not want to act in such a way that his mind will be adversely affected. Sir knew my nature, so he did not force me. One day after school, Sir took me straight to his doctor friend. He told him everything, including my insistence. Doctor, listen to everything. The question was not only mine but also the health of other children. During the first few months after starting treatment, the virus becomes stronger. So, at least for the first few months, the pill should be taken care of. In rural areas, even today, they do not eat nutritious food, so their immunity is low. Then I got sick. It felt very bad. The pillu, who never missed a day of school, did not know what to say. The next day, I went to Pillu's house and talked to his mother. Everything was explained to her, and despite being tribal and illiterate, she understood. The real question was about the pillu. How can I tell him not to come to school? But he was always staring at me. I ordered all his medicine pills. Ask the patient to take the medicine regularly. Pillu had a big question mark on his face: "What if it happened to me?" I waved my hand over his head and returned to school. The child stopped coming to school. The space near me became empty. I was going to meet Pillu at his house in eight to ten days. The difference was due to ongoing treatment. It has been almost a year. Then the pillu was completely cured. June came. I was curious about the arrival of the pillu. He had to make up for his remaining studies this year. I was on leave for two days due to certain reasons. On coming to the school, I found out that eight to ten boys and girls from Pillu's pada had gone to study at a nearby private school, and Pillu too. I felt a little sad. But it continues. Children from one school enrol in other schools, and children from other schools come to our school. After a few days, it was time to go back to their residence... The pillu was preparing to go to school. Now he was very tall. But there is a strange expression on the face. Suddenly, a pain appeared in the heart. This was my first experience. My bond with the children will always be stronger. But today the experience was different. Let's take this experience. That's why I explained it to myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pari (fairy)

   '"If you don't bring me almonds tomorrow, look!" The little pari pointed her index finger at me and said to me 'I ...