Monday, April 22, 2024

Chiku'

 In June, the admission of first-class students begins. My favourite job is chatting with parents while filling out forms and giving chocolates to an uncomfortable new student. A woman from the tribal Bhil community brought her child to be admitted. Form filling starts while chatting with her. I raised my head to look at her son and give him the chocolate. A very sweet boy with dark skin looked at me and smiled just as sweetly. His white teeth flashed. I immediately exclaimed, "Chiku!" From that day on, he was called Chiku. The same true name remained only on Register number one and on the attendance book. Even while attending, I called him by his name, Chiku. Chiku is my very favourite student. I love his always smiling face and slightly cheeky but sweet way of speaking. At first, Chiku was upset; he didn't like the name Chiku. One day I called him and said, "I call you Chiku because you are sweet like Chiku, and I love you like Chiku."."Chiku euphoniously accepted his new name. The funny thing is that his new name was accepted by the whole village. Everyone started calling him Chiku. The very talkative and mischievous Chiku became the darling of the class. Everyone knew that he was very dear to me, and Chiku' became my favourite whole class. But he never missed school or studied. His mother was also very happy. When we met, she used to talk a lot. Chiku went to the 2nd standard. But even though school started, he did not come to school. So I went to his house, met his mother, and found out that Chiku had gone to the village. She asked him to call back soon. Chiku came to school the next day. "What the hell? When did you come from the village?" "I came in the morning, madam. I came because you miss me a lot; otherwise, I was going to study there," Chiku replied. I can't stop laughing. "So you were going to leave me?" The entire class should use the subject long enough to tease him. We used to organize cultural programs every year in school. Chiku also participated in a folk dance. But two days before the event, he got typhoid. With high fever in the body, it is difficult to get up from the bed. The question is: who should replace Chiku at that time? But both Chiku and his mother are assertive. "Madam, Chiku will dance," Chiku's mother said. "But how"? How much fever does he have? Don't take any risks. Chiku is more important than the program," I said quickly. But on the day of the program, Chiku was present. His mother said, "Madam, if you love our children so much, then what if we suffer a little?" A cot was placed behind the stage, and Chiku was placed on it before his dance began. Chiku got up and stood in the group. Chiku danced up a storm on stage. Seeing his dancing, no one would have believed his illness. Chiku's mother was looking at her son with great joy. Chiku's program ended, and Chiku was drenched in sweat. I took him close with love and put my hand on his head. Madam, I brought him an injection from the doctor. I told the doctor that he had a program,” Chiku's mother said excitedly. I told her to go home and strongly warned Chiku to relax. We were transferred the same year,.Even after the transfer, the bond with the village remains. Once, I went to that village for work and also visited the school. Chiku met but smiled from a distance. It felt a little bad. His new teacher started inquiring about how Chiku got the name. My students in the class looked at me curiously, somewhat curiously. Some even came near saying, madam. While coming back, I told Sir about Chiku. His dry demeanour was an offence. After a few years, I got a chance to go to that village again. I went to school as usual. Some older children were playing near the gate. I got out of the car and started going to the office. The same boy came running and held both my hands. I looked at him, startled. "Do you recognize me, madam? I'm a chiku!" exclaimed the boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pari (fairy)

   '"If you don't bring me almonds tomorrow, look!" The little pari pointed her index finger at me and said to me 'I ...