Sunday, April 28, 2024

Dipali

 I entered the class today with a determined heart. I am still teaching Dipali to read. This year, I had my first standard class. Every class to date has been 100% done. This year, however, Dipali was not showing any appreciation.

I still remember the incommunicativeness and the constant fear of Deepali. All the children started reading well, except Deepali. So today I entered the class and called Deepali. I took the cane in my hand and started reading it. Although the rest of the children were pretending to be engrossed in their studies, all eyes were on us. Dipali, however, got stuck on the letter "R" in fear. I was raising anger. The pride of being a good teacher was hurt.'A girl doesn't read!' What an insult to my teaching skills! 

Ok, it's done. Dipali's hands were hit with a thin cane. The baby was crying. But my egoistic mind saw nothing of it.How much should I teach this girl? Finally, I got bored and wrote the words "Ratha" and Rasa" on the board. Dipali started her "lath, and I asked her to say the word "r" behind me. The girl started saying "l" again. 

I looked at Deepali, who was trembling with fear, for a moment. I was totally blown away. I held her close and caressed her face with loving hands. It was my fault. Dipali had a stutter on the letter "R.". So she was saying 'L'. I realize it now. But it was too late. The girl had moved away from me in fear. 

To this day, every student of mine bows and greets me wherever they meet me with love. But Dipali is always afraid and hides away. I bombarded the young girl with punishment just to feed my ego. After this incident, I lost my cane forever. No matter how stubborn and precocious the children are, I avoid punishment. Because in each of those children, I see Deepali's scared face.

 My habit of not punishing children is a subject of ridicule among my fellow teachers. "A student is not afraid of you; what is the use of being your teacher'!" Well, one has to listen, but I am firm that it is not punishment but love and sympathy that make good students.

 Dipali taught me that if punishment had made the person, there would be no prison in the world (event year 2003).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pari (fairy)

   '"If you don't bring me almonds tomorrow, look!" The little pari pointed her index finger at me and said to me 'I ...